Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Currently Reading


This last week I got into one of my "Must Read something fun and cool" moods. This typically, for me, means fantasy. Since "fun and cool" were part of that, it also means the fantasy found in the young adult, juvenile section of your local library. While browsing through to find something enjoyable (all the books I wanted were unavailable) I found a new author. I always get excited when this happens, as I tend to read faster than my favorite authors write.


The author's name is Jenny Nimmo, and the series I just finished (until she writes again) is the Charlie Bone series. My husband jokes that they are Harry Potter knock-offs, but I truly enjoy them, and aside from the fact that both Harry and Charlie have magical powers, and go to a school, and. . . okay so I can think of lots, but the writing style and the story are totally different. (I hate it when someone says it's a Harry Potter knock-of, cause everyone relates Youth Fantasy to Harry Potter, just like if there are Elves in it, they relate it to Lord of the Rings.) Anyway, I totally loved them. They have quirky characters, and fun plot twists, definitely some I want in my children's library.

1 comment:

Ki said...

Chani, take it from me, it's a knock off. The publishers are trying to cash in from the title similarities;
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." "Levean Thump and the Gateway to Foo." "Charlie Bones and yadahyadahyahda."

This is why I don't actually want to be published.