Friday, March 16, 2007

The Teen-Age Agenda

My brother, Ryan, is staying with us for a few days while the rest of our family is in California for a cousin's wedding. I had forgotten how busy teenagers are. Since getting married, my schedule has been my own. I flit here and there some days, but mostly I relax in the comfortable aura of my home. Scott entering the door after work tends to be the highlight of the day. And suddenly my little 16 year old brother comes over, and it brings back memories of when I was that age.

He has dance classes, drama, math, goes out with friends, and has all sort of random activities. Yesterday he was in classes from noon until 6pm. Today he had seminary at 8am, and I probably won't see him till dinner, and he is talking about going on a date tonight. Tomorrow is his fun day, and he is planning basketball, ultimate frisbee, and if the date doesn't work out tonight, he is thinking about doing it tomorrow. Midst all of this, he has asked me for help with his math, he has to pass of his job at home, and get some sleep in too. Of course, teenagers don't really need sleep, they can go without it for a week and then sleep all day Sunday (minus church of course.) No wonder we give 16 year olds licenses, it makes adults tired just thinking about taking them everywhere. Oh yea, and he has Drivers Ed too.

The last time I was grounded by my parents, I was never home. My parents never grounded me from legitimate classes or anything church related. I just couldn't go to a friends house afterwards. That week I wasn't home at all. Between church activities and classes, I spent one night home that week. Insane. If I had that schedule now, I would probably die of stress.

No comments: