Today, as I was pondering upon my many blessings, I thought with gratitude about the table I have in my dining room.
When Scott and I were first married, our little one bedroom apartment was pretty small, and we didn't have a table. We ate on the couch, and enjoyed cuddling while we consumed. My father took pity on us poor folk, and bought us a table. The table cost him $5, he bought it from the Young Women's Auction his ward holds every year. With the middle leaf taken out, it fit snugly into our apartment, and allowed us to entertain our friends. It came without chairs, but we borrowed some from my mother.
When we started managing Academy Square, we moved into a partially furnished apartment. It came with a little table and four chairs. So we stored our table at my parent's house, in their basement. For a year and a half, the table was used for family parties, crafts, and school.
Then we moved into Chamrie's house, expecting to only stay with her for a few weeks. We thought it was silly to drag the house from Enoch, only to bring it back again, so we decided we could go without a table for a little bit. Those weeks turned into months. I realized how important a kitchen table really is.
Scott and I fared okay without it, but Danny didn't have a place to sit and eat his food. He isn't coordinated enough to hold a plate in one hand and eat with the other. So we ended up just feeding him off of our plates. This style of eating, while great when they are just tasters, doesn't really make a two year old eat his food. He would grab a bite, then play, then grab another one and play some more.
What a blessing it is to have a table that I can place him, and he can focus completely on eating. He actually eats real meals now! When he is done feeding himself, we clean him up, and he runs off to play! It is so nice, I was worried that he wasn't getting enough food before, but now. . . no problemo.
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment