Friday, June 15, 2007

Ah, Reminiscing

Last night we had a girl come and stay at our house. I knew her family in Clearfield, and she was down here for orientation and found herself stranded. Her Mom called my Dad, and Dad called me.



When I went to college, Kelly was probably 8 years old. She is now 17, and going to her first semester of school in the fall. It didn't take long for me to start giving advice. She is going to be living in the dorms, so I told about the different kinds of people she would come in contact with and what to look for in an apartment. I told her how wonderful roommates can be, that you create life long friendships with people you never would have gotten to know otherwise. We also talked about the bad roommates, how to deal with them, and how to not get lost with the new found freedom of being away from your parents.



Then Scott and I told her our story. It was quite fun. We hadn't had such a captive audience in a while. We stayed up until 1am. I realize now that we are truly parents. Staying up that late wipes us out. I remember when I could stay up till 2am talking and having fun, and then wake up at 6am to go to class. Crazy. Now I am ready to fall asleep in the middle of a good time around 11pm. I am also acutely aware of every moment that Daniel is asleep and I am not, because every moment I stay up is one less moment I will have sleep. Sigh. Comes with the territory I guess.

No comments: